Mercury is the most fatal, non-radioactive and naturally occurring substance on the planet. There is no safe level of mercury because even a single atom can prove lethal to your body. It is found in the air, water, and soil. According to the website of Abel Law Firm, whether in its liquid or gaseous form, mercury exposure can cause serious illness to humans.

Mercury is found in the fish we eat whether caught in the lake or bought in a grocery store. It is also found in some of the products we use, in the home, at the dentist, or at school. Fishes and shellfishes are the main source of methylmercury exposure to humans. The level of mercury contamination in fish and shellfish depend on what they eat, their lifespan, and their level in the food chain.

High level mercury exposure can harm the brain, heart, kidney, lungs, and immune system. Methyl mercury in the bloodstream of unborn babies and young children can cause harm to the developing nervous system, which can slow down the child’s ability to think and learn. Aside from that, mercury poisoning can impair the peripheral vision and may result to lack of coordination, impairment of speech, hearing, walking, and muscle weakness.

The National Institute of Health reveals that the effect of mercury poisoning is a slow process that takes months or years. For this reason, most people do not know that they are being poisoned right away. Some of the effects of mercury may include neurological and chromosomal problems such as:

  • Uncontrollable shaking or tremor
  • Numbness or pain in certain parts of the skin
  • Blindness and double vision
  • Inability to walk well
  • Memory problems
  • Seizures
  • Deaths with large exposures
  • The health effects of mercury are dependent on several factors which may
  • include the following:
  • The form of mercury
  • Amount of mercury in the exposure
  • Age of the person exposed
  • How long the exposure lasts
  • The manner of exposure such as breathing, eating, skin contact, etc
  • Health of the person exposed

When you or your loved one has been exposed to mercury, you need to consult the doctor right away.